takikomi!

just give me one of this big white funny hats and call me chef allison! yes people, i made dinner last night and something that i have never made before. i saw it on tv one day and thought that it would be good. i guess it would be called kabocha takikomi (or something like that). kabocha is a pumpkin squash like vegetable (one of my favorites) and takikomi just means a rice dish (i think). anyways, this is how you do it, or at least how i did it. in the rice maker you put: rice, cut up raw kabocha (and that is no easy task, that stuff is hard to cut), salt, soy sauce, some vinegar, i think i put a little of bit of sugar and close the lid, push the button and in 25 minutes after mixing it all up, you have a wonderful little rice dish that is oh so yummy! hehe, i was pretty happy with myself. i didn't measure anything, just kind of put stuff in ... probably could be a lot better, but for my first time it wasn't bad. i also made this pasta salad. but the pasta i used is called konyoku (i think) and it's those noodles that are kind of clearish. it was as any salad to make. just sauteed cabbage, carrots, and cucumber in some oil and vinegar, added the noodles. drained it all off. then i made a sauce using mayonaise, soy sauce, and pepper. it turned out pretty good, although i think next time i should wait until everything is cold before adding the sauce. and that is my cooking adventure this week as i wont be home wed-fri.

other news and strange observations ...

have i told you about this yet? one of the funniest things i see here are grannies on mo-peds. i'll be walking down the street or driving in town and i swear, i've never seen so many little old ladies on motor bikes. they wear their little helmuts and rule the road! you would never see that in the states!

while taking a walk around the area last night i noticed that my town has a large number of hair salons. small town (relatively), yet many many hair salons. i even saw a sign that said blow cut, what's that? i'm sure they mean a cut plus style, but i almost thought it was going to say something else ...

5 comments:

Sylvia West said...

Hey, you have to learn how to make all the regular stuff too so that you can teach me when you get back...and we're in the same state, or are having an extended visit or something...yeah. And what's with your use of c's? Japanese doesn't have c's. You're confusing me!! I have enough of a time reading romaji as it is! Oh yeah, and you'll have to teach me Japanese again, I swear it's gone.

know thyself said...

did u notice i edited my c's to k's? just for you :P yeah, my japanese is still pretty bad, half the time i have absolutely no idea what they are saying, but i pretend to know ... thus a vicious rumor has started that i am pera pera (remember that word?).

Jack said...

did you feel the earthquake? are you okay?

Anonymous said...

I gave Geri (neighbor) your blog page, she was so excited to read your adventures!! Your rice dinner sounds yummy!! You didnt even need your cook book you can get all your recipes off TV!
You had an earthquake?? now I'm worried....

Anonymous said...

I'm with Uyen: I thought of you when I heard about the earthquake to the north. Everything OK? Some of your comments really reminded me of my first few months in Japan! Back in my day, the old ladies just rode bikes but even that was unusual for me to see. And let's not even talk about the cooking. Thank goodness you can get all sorts of decent foods already made. And don't forget that you can get by pretty well by pretending that you understand what they are saying to you...

Copyright © 2008 - Ikimashou ~ Let's go! - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template