double check before judging

Yesterday we had fried gyoza (Chinese dumplings), sauteed veggies, wan tan soup, and rice for school lunch. I asked one of the kids if he liked Chinese food and this is what I thought he said:





"I like Chinese food, but I don't like Chinese people"





My jaw dropped and I instantly starting thinking of activties I could do to encourage more international/intercultural understanding. At the same time I felt very sad this a boy of 12 years old would say something like that. Anyways, I talked to the teacher after lunch to try and figure how best to approach it. She told it was actually a big mis-understanding and that what he actually said was:





"I like Chinese food, but I like produce from China"





It still sounds weird, but the reason for this is because a few weeks ago, there were lots of people who experienced food-poisoning from frozen gyoza imported from China. There was a huge recall and now people check the label twice before buying produce and other food products. It reminded me of the Jack-In-The-Box incident. I must have been in elementary school or junior high school when some people got food-poisoning from eating there, and I remember thinking that I didn't like Jack-In-The-Box either, although I don't think I ever ate there.





Anyways, I've been super busy as always. Taiko has started again and apparently I've been appointed a comittee member, which basically means I can interchange with Taiko, flute, or symbols during the festival any time I want. Woo hoo! So now I'm trying to learn the flute.





Aomori has been beautiful these last couple of months ... I'll share a few pics with you all. And for those who haven't come to visit yet, I sure hope these motivate you to get your boodies out here!!!! Because I'm coming to terms with coming home next year, so that gives you a year! hee

Cherry Blossoms in Hirosaki



Rapeseed Blossoms in front of Mt. Iwaki


Oh yeah! I went to a wedding ... I'll blog about that next time. They are definately very different compared to weddings back in the States!

I'm friends with the bride and groom! We play volleyball together, and the bride is a YWD with me in the SGI (man, talk about codes huh? hehe)

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Ikimashou ~ Let's go! - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template