Out of hiatus

What has had the strongest influence on your political ideology (or lack there of for some)? Family, friends, media, physical environment, personal experiences?


The development of one's political ideology is fascinating. It's also a little scary. I read in the news everyday how polarized the US is becoming and every time I read about it I fear more and more whether any real progress can be made. What results in people clinging so strongly to their beliefs that they aren't willing to even listen to the other side? How do we bridge the gap and get back to what really counts? Is the US just too big for its own good?

Or is it even as bad as I think it is?

Living in Japan, the only news I really see or read is coming from an extreme point of view (because that's probably what sells). A part of me is really looking forward to going back to the States and engaging in dialogues with people who have different beliefs and political ideologies because I really want to understand it all. However, another part of me is frightened to go back to a place where people are gathering arms/food/shelter as if in preparation for the worst. It's as if people have already given up on the idea, or perhaps they never believed in the idea, that we could coexist with each other peacefully despite our differences. Why do we dwell on the differences rather than realizing that there are actually more similarities between us all?

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Ikimashou ~ Let's go! - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template