Summer vacation is over :(

Being at a new school is interesting. At my old schools, all the kids were used to me and didn't make a big deal when they saw me, but now at my new school, all the kids just start giggling any time I say hi to them or when they come and try to talk to me. It's cute, in a funny kind of way :P

Well, I hope everyone is taking care of their health, because for a while there, I sure wasn't! At the beginning of this month, I participated in Aomori's Nebutas and (for the 3rd time) in Goshogawara's Tachi Nebuta (the best festival in the prefecture). It was loads of fun, as always, but I didn't get much sleep and I ate nothing but festival food (hot dogs, yakisoba, takoyaki, ice cones, etc.). A few days later, I got Chicken Pox pt. 2 (otherwise known as shingles). I was lucky because I noticed it early and got the right medicine, so I didn't have to go through all the pain associated with it, but in Japan they say it's caused by overexerting yourself. So please be careful not to overexert yourself!

After Nebuta was over, I went to go see the host family in Sapporo and it was great seeing all of them. AND they took me to COSTCO!! It was so weird seeing everything in super-bulk in Japan when everything tends to come in such small portions. I wanted to buy everything! heee

In other news, I'll be on Aomori local tv again. This time, it will be about 10 minutes on a program called "Iiideba Eigo Juku" which is a program that teaches English and Tsugaru-ben (the local dialect). It's a really popular show among the locals and it should be fun. Rachel-san (the main character, who is adorably sweet) will come to my school next week and surprise all my kids when she runs into class during one of my lessons. Then we will do a little conversation and quiz and then they'll take me somewhere else to finish the rest of the filming. And it will air next month the day after my birthday. Kind of cool huh?

Watching the olympics in Japan is definately different. I get to see some sports that don't get much coverage in America; judo, ping pong, field hockey, etc. Although, I miss the coverage in the States.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Allison:

I am an American writer coming to Aomori, Japan, for
research. I am writing a book about the decline of
the large oceanic fish--marlin, swordfish, and tuna.
The book is called "In Pursuit of Giants: One Man's
Global Search for the Last of the Great Fish". The
web page is: http://www.inpursuitofgiants.com.

I will be coming to Aomori for the day on Friday,
October 3 to meet with a Japanese tuna fisherman. I
do not speak Japanese, he does not speak English. I
am looking to hire an interpreter for the day to help us.

I saw from your blog post that you are in Aomori. Might you be interested?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Matt Rigney
mattrigney268@comcast.net
(The Paul Arens address is an alias on Google).

Copyright © 2008 - Ikimashou ~ Let's go! - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template