Jingle bells, jingle bells ....

Jingle all the way ~

So what is Christmas like in Japan?

First, you go to work like I did :P After work, everyone goes home and eats fried chicken, usually from KFC. They buy a Christams cake from the local convenient store or supermarket, usually of the strawberry persuade. Some kids get a present from their parents that are left at the foot of their beds because people rarely have Christmas trees, and it's even rarer to have a proper fireplace to hang stockings near. Christmas in Japan also has the romantic image of a lovey-dovey couple walking through a Christmas light display in the park (but only if you live near one). Then you can watch a Christmas special on TV that includes a bunch of boy bands singing Christmas and English Christmas songs while all the girls in the audience go crazy. Then you go to sleep and when you wake up most of the Christmas decorations in the stores are gone and the sales are over. Oh yeah, you might also end up going to a meeting like I did ... heee

I kind of miss Christmas in the States :P Because I'm not Christian, I don't celebrate it in the "traditional" sense, but for me it's always been a time to be with family when we spoil eachother with presents, food, laughter, games, and love! I'm sure there are some people who cringe at the commercialization of the holiday, but it's such a great feeling when you buy a present for someone and they love it!! Then again, there's always the downside that they might do the ... "Oh thanks, yeah this is great!" but in that tone of voice where you know they are just being polite ... thank goodness for gift receits!

I'm wishing you all the best of holidays and a wonderful new year! I miss all of you back home terribly and can't wait to see you! I love you!

2 comments:

JackandJel said...

we can't wait to see you in february.

thank you so much for taking the time to call us - we loved hearing your voice.

but it also makes us ache for your presence.

but in a couple of months... :)

mwa
j & a

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Copyright © 2008 - Ikimashou ~ Let's go! - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template